Money matters! Yes it does. Money is huge. Yet, it is a topic which pastors are often reluctant to address in the church. It certainly is a challenging topic, because it is a sensitive topic. But over the course of the next month we will be discussing this very topic.
We need to talk about it! Here are a few reasons why I believe it is so important:
- Because Jesus talked about it. In fact, Jesus talked about money as much as he talked about prayer. If it was such an important topic for Jesus to address, it needs to be a topic we address.
- If the church does not address relevant topics, the church becomes irrelevant. The world is talking about it and if the world is talking about it, the church needs to be talking about.
- If we do not make good decisions with our money, we will become enslaved by our poor decisions. This is why we need to hear from God on this matter. How many people live lives enslaved to debt?
- Eternity hangs in the balance. Jesus told us to store up heavenly treasure (Matthew 6:19–21). The types of investments we make today have eternal consequences.
- The urgency of the mission. God’s mission has a church. We need to recognize that with great blessing comes great responsibility. God will ask us for an accounting of what we did with that which he entrusted us with. Will we hear the words, “well done good and faithful servant”?
- For the sake of your relationship with God. Jesus says you cannot serve two masters (Matthew 6:24). While we can give every other part of our life over to him, our checkbook is often the one last thing we hold on to.
These are some reasons why I believe we need to talk about it. I pray you can join us during the next four Sundays in November at 8am or 10:30am. We will also be hosting two workshops sponsored by Thrivent Financial. On Sunday, November 17 we will be hosting Parents, Kids, and Money Matters. And on Sunday, November 24 we will host Your Legacy: Family, Church, Charity. For more information and to sign up, make sure to visit our website.