- Matthew 28:1–10
- Matthew 16:24–28
Questions to Consider
- Why are we reluctant to give everything to God?
- What does it mean to give your life to God?
- What enables you to give God your life?
- Why did Jesus give us everything?
Plan of Action
- What has God given you that you could use to bless and serve others? Take one possession, ability, or gift and consecrate it to God’s purposes.
- Celebrate the resurrection by participating in Easter Sunday Worship.
We have given up many things over the last 40 days of Lent, but on this final day we are giving up everything. We give our lives to the one who created us, saved us from our sin, and is coming to take us home. We surrender all to him who gave all.
He is our maker and owner. Everything we possess is already his. The money in our pockets is not our possession. None of our possessions do we really own. We brought none of this into the world and we are not going to be taking any of it with us. It is simply on loan to us while we walk this earth.
Neither are our bodies our own. God gives us these bodies to live in while we are here. But in the resurrection we are given new spiritual bodies not like the bodies we live in now (see 1 Corinthians 15:44).
Our children are not our own. They are God’s children. They belong to him, but he has entrusted us with them to raise and nurture in the faith. This is an incredible responsibility he assigns us.
The point of all this is that we are God’s servants. He is the master. We are stewards and managers of all that he possesses. Nothing is ours. This is our Father’s world. In the end we will give an accounting for what we did with all that he entrusted to us. I know that my prayer is I will hear the words, “well done good and faithful servant.”
Think about the delivery man. You are the owner of the package and you entrust the delivery man to deliver the package to the destination you intend. If that delivery man was to take your package to his home for himself, you would consider that theft. It is theft because he is not the owner of the package. He is just a steward of the package.
We not much different from the thieving delivery man when we use what God entrusts to us in ways God did not intend for us to use it. We talk about tithing God the first 10% of our income. At that point we think we have done our job. But that first 10% is just the start. We also seek to use the other 90% in a way he intends. He gives the rest of it to us to provide for our basic needs, to serve others, and to bring him glory.
The more we are given the more that is expected of us. Jesus says:
Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. Luke 12:48 (ESV)
It’s not just about our money. It is our time. It is the gifts and abilities we possess. It is every breath we breathe. It is every beat of our hearts. May they all be used to honor him our Lord of lords and King of kings!
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.