According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you… (1 Peter 1:3-4, ESV)
Yesterday, I shared how we are born into hope. And that hope is alive because Jesus is alive.
Because of our hope in Jesus, we look forward to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading. I point you to the word “inheritance.” An inheritance is something that is different from a 401K or pension. Those are things you work towards. But an inheritance is something that we are born into. We do not receive it as a result of our work. We receive it as a result of God’s work.
And it says that this inheritance is secure. It is kept in heaven. There is no safer place for it to be kept. It is:
- Imperishable! It will not rot. It does not expire after a certain date. There is no spoiling here.
- Undefiled! It is true. There is no scam. We hear these days retirement scams where people are cheated out of their savings. But there is no scandal here.
- Unfading! It will not lose value. The stock market goes up and down. And sometimes our investments lose their value. But we will never lose interest here.
There is no need to for it to be FDIC insured. We don’t need Fort Knox. Our inheritance is safe as safe will be. Ultimately, there is nothing more secure.
- What does it mean to you that your eternal inheritance is secure?
- How does your eternal inheritance give you courage for this life?
Thank you, Jesus, for securing my inheritance. I am blessed to know that it is secure – imperishable, undefiled, and unfading. Give me courage and endurance for this life knowing my eternity is secure with you. Amen.