“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10, ESV)
7-Up has been described as the Uncola. It was called the Uncola because it was empty many things contained in other sodas. Then there is T-mobile. They have recently advertised themselves as the Uncarrier. They claim they empty of the gimmicks of the other cell phone carriers.
“Un” is used as a prefix that means empty or without. Today there are many people who live an un-life. Their life is filled with emptiness. This may be the way that you feel. I recently came across a list of the things that lead to an empty life. They include:
- Un-clear Purpose – you don’t know why you are here.
- Un-balanced Schedule – you are trying to do more and have more than God intended for you.
- Un-forgiveness – you are holding on to bitterness towards others and guilt towards yourself.
- Un-supported Choices – God does not prosper what he has not ordered. Are you living against God’s design?
- Un-dernourished Soul – Are you feeding yourself with media (video, music, reading, audio) that is edifying?
- Un-applied Truth – You know that path to take, but you haven’t taken the first step.
- Un-expressed Faith – How are you serving others?
If you are feeling empty, is there one of these items to which you can relate? I imagine that you can. How can you address that area?
- How have you contributed to your feelings of emptiness?
- What is one step you can take today to find greater fulfillment?
Lord there are many times when I feel empty. I have not walked in the way that you have intended me to walk. Help me to put behind the Un-life so that I can discover your full and abundant life. Fill me to the fullness of your joy and grace. Amen.